24 February 2010

It's a Bash/Neutral Nation

Alright, so if you're into punk rock, Attleboro, having a good time, or having a good time in Attleboro while listening to punk rock, you should check out the upcoming film, It's a Bash! from the studio that brought you You Must Be This Tall: The Story of Rocky Point, Midway Pictures.

As a favor to my friend and mentor, the director, David Bettencourt, I have been doing a lot of design work for the promotional aspects of the aforementioned film. With that being said, here are a few things that I've completed so far...

Alright, so I designed this one over the summer as a post card. I don't really know if Dave ever ended up using it as a post card, so if it was never used, don't call me a liar, I designed it with the intent to use it...
Although it looks like it was a simple task of putting a title over an old photo of Mike on the mic, there were actually a lot of things I had to do to it before it could look at all appealing.
First off, the picture was really dim and Mike didn't stand out too well against the background, which wasn't anything hard to fix, so that shouldn't even be counted in my bitching. Second, there were a bunch of stage lights in the background, one of which was burning away the top of Mike's head, so those had to go, but since the picture was too awesome as a grainy, old looking photo, I had to make sure no one could see that there had been anything there in the first place. Third, there were a number of drum mics hanging around in the background, so I had to take them out, so they wouldn't take focus away from Mike, and so they would make the drums seem like they were able to fill whole venues without being mic'ed. Fourth, the picture wasn't cropped or scanned in favor of a postcard or flier, or anything that resembled a rectangle, so I had to extend a few of the edges to make it look like it look as natural as a picture of a punk rock front man could look. Fifth, well, there really was no fifth step in fixing the picture, but whatever.


So, this next one is a lot better than the first one, which is probably why we're using this (and designs related to this) as a way to promote the film's premiere at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence on April 30th. This took considerably less work because the picture was already in beautiful condition for an old school hardcore punk rock flier looking thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure I spent more time making the paper-like elements look torn than on the picture itself! If you're a fan of Neutral Nation or are at least familiar with their album, It's a Bash, then you'll probably recognize a few elements in the picture. First off, the title itself is a recreation of the title on the original album cover, made to look like it had seen hell in its day (or at least like a band listing on a classic Xeroxed flier), which I hope at least someone appreciates and recognized even without my mention... Second, the URL for the movie's website is in the same font and coloration as the band's name was on the album cover, which I personally dig, haha.

But regardless of all this sweet stuff I've done for the movie, it's nothing in comparison to the sweet stuff in store for anyone who goes to see the movie on April 30th at Lupo's!

More soon, but until then, fuck you.

No comments: